Monday, July 16, 2012

Mucuna pruriens proves more effective than L-DOPA in Parkinson's disease animal model

Phytotherapy Research
Phytotherapy Research Volume 11, Issue 6, pages 419–423, September 1997

 Abstract

Seeds of the Mucuna pruriens plant, now known to contain L-DOPA, have long been used for the treatment of Parkinson's disease patients in ancient Eastern Indian ethnotherapeutics. Following validation of the intrastraital 6-OHDA injection with amphetamine in the parkinsonian rat model, the animals were fed synthetic L-DOPA (125 or 250 mg/kg) or Mucuna pruriens endocarp (MPE, 2.5 or 5.0 g/kg) mixed with rat chow (n =6, for each dose and drug). Controls received no drug. An additional dose of L-DOPA or MPE in the same doses plus carbidopa (50 mg/kg) were administered via gavage (controls received only carbidopa 50 mg/kg) 1 h prior to testing with rotometer. Contralateral rotation (to the side of the 6-OHDA lesion) (CLR) was recorded for 240 min as a measure of antiparkinsonian activity. Results indicated that dose for dose, MPE showed twice the antiparkinsonian activity compared with synthetic L-DOPA in inducing CLR in the parkinsonian animal model. This study suggests that MPE may contain unidentified antiparkinsonian compounds in addition to L-DOPA, or it may have adjuvants that enhance the efficacy of L-DOPA. © 1997 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.

Source: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/%28SICI%291099-1573%28199709%2911:6%3C419::AID-PTR120%3E3.0.CO;2-Q/abstract

2 comments:

  1. My Parkinsons disease symptoms started at the age of 54. My fingers on my left hand were stiff and were difficult to move. People noticed that my walk was not normal, I was often asked did I hurt. It was difficult getting up from` a chair and getting out of a car. I was diagnosed a year later, all medications my doctor prescribed did more harm than good. In November, 2016 I started on NewLife Herbal Clinic Parkinson disease natural herbal remedy treatment, my parkinsons symptoms including tremors, slowed movement, shaking deteriorated over the first 9 weeks of the PD herbal formula usage, i am now 59 with no trace of Parkinsons or tremors, visit the clinic website www. newlifeherbalclinic. com or email info@ newlifeherbalclinic. com. The PD herbal formula helped me in a way i just didn’t imagine, this is a breakthrough for all parkinsons disease patients.



    George Herrmann
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada


    ReplyDelete
  2. Around age 60 I noticed that my handwriting was getting smaller and I was writing faster. I also noticed a small tremor in my right hand. The doctor went over my different symptoms and he suspected I'd either had a small stroke or the beginnings of Parkinson 's disease. After finding a neurologist and some testing I was diagnosed with the beginning stages of Parkinson’s disease. That was 4 years ago. I take Sinimet four times a day to control my symptoms, which include falling, imbalance, gait problems, swallowing difficulties, and slurring of speech,December 2017 our family doctor started me on Green House Herbal Clinic Parkinson’s Disease Herbal mixture, 5 weeks into treatment I improved dramatically. At the end of the full treatment course, the disease is totally under control. No case of dementia, hallucination, weakness, muscle pain or tremors. Visit Green House Herbal Clinic official website www. greenhouseherbalclinic .com. I am strong again and able to go about daily activities.‌ This Herbal Formula is Incredible!! My life is back.

    ReplyDelete